If you have a Kindle Fire, you now have the option to download library ebooks and audiobooks using the free Overdrive Media Console app. If you choose to continue downloading Kindle format books on your Kindle Fire, follow the directions on the “Downloading Library Ebooks on your Amazon Kindle:
1. Download the free Overdrive Media Console app from the Kindle App Store.
2. The first time you launch the app, you should be prompted to authorize with an Adobe ID. To create an Adobe ID, tap Get a free Adobe ID. If you are not prompted to create an Adobe ID, tap the Menu button on the bottom of the screen and from the menu that appears tap App Settings. If you have a Kindle Fire HD, your settings button should look like this and will be located in the upper-right corner of the screen. From your App Settings screen, tap Get a free Adobe ID.
3. Enter your email address, chosen password (must be entered twice), first name and last name. Tap the Create button at the bottom of the screen. You will see a message that says “Welcome to Adobe Digital Editions!”
4. Tap the Home button in the lower left corner to return to your home screen. Re-open the Overdrive Media Console App and return to the App Settings.
5. This screen should look familiar! Enter the Adobe ID and password you just created and tap the Authorize button. Congratulations! You have successfully authorized your app!
1. Tap the Menu button and from the menu that appears, select Get Books.
2. The first time you use the app, you must add your library system to your Get Books list. Tap the Add a library button.
3. Enter your zip code and click the Search button. Tap the name of your library to select it.
4. Underneath the name of your library, you will see a gray star next to the words Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium. Tap the gray star to make it gold. Congratulations! You have added the Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium to your Get Books list!
1. From your Get Books screen, tap the words Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium to go to the Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium’s Digital Download Center.
2. Before browsing for books, you’ll want to sign in to the Digital Download Center. Tap the Sign In link in the upper right corner.
3. Tap [select library] and select your library system from the list
4. Enter the entire 14-digit barcode number on your library card and tap the Login button.
5. Tap the magnifying glass icon near the top right corner of the screen and then tap the Advanced Search link just below the search box.
6. Tap the the words All Formats and from the list that appears select EPUB eBook. Tap the orange Available Now button and then tap the orange Search button.
7. You should see the covers of EPUB ebooks that are currently available (Hint: You can tell a book is currently available when the book icon in the upper-right corner of the book cover is black If the book icon is gray , this means that the ebook is not currently available and must be placed on hold). Once you’ve found a book you’d like check out, tap the book’s cover and then tap the orange Borrow button.
8. Tap the orange Download button and then tap to select the box for EPUB eBook. (Kindle format ebooks cannot be read using the Overdrive app).
9. Tap the Confirm and Download link.
10. You will see the words “Loading New Title,” followed by the message “A new title has been added to your bookshelf.” To view your Bookshelf, tap the menu button and tap Bookshelf.
11. To start reading the book, simply tap the title.
If an ebook or audio book is not available for immediate download, you may place a hold on it. Simply tap the cover of the ebook and tap the orange Place a Hold button. The first time you place a hold, you will be asked to enter your email address twice. Subsequently, the app will remember your email address.
When the ebook becomes available, you will receive an email notification. You have 2 days from the day of notification to check out the item before your hold expires. To check out and download a book that you have on hold:
1. Launch the Overdrive app and tap the Menu Button at the bottom of the screen and then tap the Get Books button. If you have a Kindle Fire HD, your menu button should look like this and will be located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. From the Get Books screen, tap Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium.
3. If you are not already signed in, tap the Sign In link in the upper-right hand corner of the screen. Choose your library system Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium and enter your full 14-digit library card number. Tap the orange Sign In button. (If you are already logged in, just tap the My Account icon near the top of the screen)
4. Tap the Holds icon to view the items you have on hold. The item that is available to be checked out should appear on the screen. Tap the cover of the book and then tap the orange Borrow button.
5. Follow steps 8-11 on the front of this handout.
Ebooks checked out via Overdrive will automatically “expire” and become unreadable when their loan period is up. To return an ebook early, go to your Bookshelf and tap the small plus sign across from the title of the book. Tap Return/Delete and then tap the Return then Delete button. The title will disappear from your Bookshelf and become available for checkout by someone else.