If you have a Kindle Fire, you now have the option to download library ebooks and audiobooks using the free Overdrive Media Console app. If you choose to continue downloading Kindle format books on your Kindle Fire, follow the directions on the “Downloading Library Ebooks on your Amazon Kindle:
1. Download the OverDrive app from one of the following:
2. Open the OverDrive app and follow the prompts to create an OverDrive account and log in.
If you’re under 13, you may have multiple sign-in options. Learn which under-13 option is right for you here.
Note: If you’re using a first generation Kindle Fire, skip this step and move on to step 3.
3. In the OverDrive app, find your library’s OverDrive website. On most Kindle Fires, you can do this by tapping the icon in the top-left corner to open the Home menu, tapping Manage libraries, and then +. On first generation Kindle Fires, tap the icon (or, if you don’t have this icon, go to Menu > Get Books).
4. Sign into your library’s OverDrive website with your library card and borrow a title.
5. Find borrowed titles on your Checkouts page (under your Account) on your library’s OverDrive website. You can:
Kindle Fire tablets are based on the Android operating system, so many of our Android help articles are also useful for Kindle Fire tablets.
For a video overview of how to get started with your Kindle Fire, check out our help videos.
If an ebook or audio book is not available for immediate download, you may place a hold on it. Simply tap the cover of the ebook and tap the orange Place a Hold button. The first time you place a hold, you will be asked to enter your email address twice. Subsequently, the app will remember your email address.
When the ebook becomes available, you will receive an email notification. You have 2 days from the day of notification to check out the item before your hold expires. To check out and download a book that you have on hold:
1. Launch the Overdrive app and tap the Menu Button at the bottom of the screen and then tap the Get Books button. If you have a Kindle Fire HD, your menu button will be located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. From the Get Books screen, tap Kentucky Libraries Unbound Consortium.
3. Sign in and Tap the My Account icon near the top of the screen.
4. Tap the Holds icon to view the items you have on hold. The item that is available to be checked out should appear on the screen. Tap the cover of the book and then tap the orange Borrow button.
5. Follow steps 8-11 on the front of this handout.
Ebooks checked out via Overdrive will automatically “expire” and become unreadable when their loan period is up. To return an ebook early, go to your Bookshelf and tap the small plus sign across from the title of the book. Tap Return/Delete and then tap the Return then Delete button. The title will disappear from your Bookshelf and become available for checkout by someone else.