September 2015 (4), August 2015 (2), July 2015 (1), June 2015 (4), May 2015 (2), March 2015 (1), February 2015 (2), November 2014 (1), October 2014 (2), September 2014 (1), August 2014 (3), July 2014 (1), June 2014 (2), May 2014 (5), April 2014 (7), March 2014 (2), February 2014 (3), January 2014 (3), December 2013 (1), November 2013 (6), October 2013 (5), September 2013 (9), August 2013 (4), July 2013 (7), June 2013 (4), May 2013 (10), April 2013 (3), March 2013 (7), February 2013 (4), January 2013 (5), November 2012 (1), May 2012 (1), December 2011 (1)

    Looking for Yankee and Confederate Soldiers?

    The Derringer may have some answers!

    By Leslie McCarty

    Since this is the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War, many people are curious to know if their ancestors took up arms during the War Between the States. Because Kentucky was a border state, many families were divided against each other. One could reason that it would not be uncommon to find a Civil War soldier when researching your genealogy. How do you know if your ancestor fought in the war? If your person fought with a Kentucky unit on the Union or Confederate side, then you could check the Kentucky Adjutant General’s Report. This is a four-volume book set, two volumes for the Union and two volumes for the Confederacy, that lists each unit and the soldiers that were in those units. It also gives a unit’s history, when the soldiers mustered in and out of service, and if they were wounded or killed. Each volume has a name index for easy use.

    If you find the name and unit of your soldier, then you may be able to look at his service record. The Kentucky Room has access to limited Union and Confederate service records and Confederate pension records on microfilm. If you do not find your unit, then you may have to look at requesting records from the National Archives. You can learn about these and other records at


    Red Pixel Studios Website Development