Amazon Kindle Instructions for KY Libraries Unbound
How to check out and download for Amazon’s Kindle
(if you have a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD, you will use different instructions)
You will need a computer or laptop with Internet access as well as your Amazon account email address and password. In some cases (explained below), you may need to use a computer to transfer files from your computer that you have downloaded from the library to your Kindle.
To search for and download books from the library, follow these steps:
- Go to the library’s website (www.dcplibrary.org)
- Click on the link for “Downloads” (the blue box on the left hand side of the page under the central image)
- Click on the link for “eBooks & eAudios”
- Hit the “Sign In” button in the top right hand corner
- Select “Daviess County Public Library” from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your complete library barcode number from the back of your library card. Check the box “remember my login information on this device” if you are using your own home computer.
- Search for the item you want to check out using the search box in the top right hand corner; if you want to browse, go to Advanced Search, select “Kindle Book” from the Format menu and choose whatever subject interests you.
- If you want to see only copies that you can currently check out (that aren’t checked out to other people), click on the box that says “Available now”
- Hit the Search button
- When you find the book you want, click on the name of the book below the picture of the cover
- You are in a detail screen for the book. If you still want to check out the book, click on the blue “Borrow” button located below the Star Rating
- Hit the button “Download (Select one format)”
- Check the box for Kindle Book (this is the only format you will be able to read on your Kindle!)
- Hit “confirm and download”
- You will be linked to Amazon
- Click on the yellow “Get Library Book” button on the right hand side.
- (If you are not already signed in on your computer, you will be asked to sign in with your Amazon account information)
- (If you have more than one Kindle device, select the one you want to read that book on)
- Hit “continue”
- You will get a notice that the book will be delivered the next time your device syncs.
Your book will be returned to the library automatically at the end of your checkout period – so you don’t need to worry about late fees. But you can return it early if you want by signing in to your Amazon account, and choosing “Manage Your Kindle” from the drop down “My Account” menu. Find the title of the book you want to return (it should have “digital library” next to the title) and click on the Actions drop down menu. Select “return this book” and “yes” to confirm.
Computer Download and Transfer to Kindle
If you have a 1st or 2nd generation Kindle, are unable to access a Wi-Fi hotspot, or if you wish to download a book that says “USB Only” in red type, follow these steps to download the ebook to your computer and transfer the ebook to your Kindle.
- Select the save button of the ebook you are downloading
- Be sure to pay attention to the location you are saving the ebook (when in doubt, save to your desktop so it will be easy to find)
- Look for the file that is the title of the book and ends with “.azw”
- Plug in your Kindle to the USB drive on your computer
- If a window pops up automatically that allows you to view folders on your Kindle, select that option. If it does not, go to My Computer and look under “Devices with Removable Storage” and select “Kindle”
- Drag and drop the “.azw” file to the folder named “Documents”
- Be sure to properly eject your Kindle before removing it from your computer