For a wealth of additional information, you may view the guides and FAQs on our website by going to KY Libraries Unbound Digital Media Help.
Checking out ebooks
Log in to KY Libraries Unbound
If you are using a Kindle to download books it is better to use the Advance Search and restrict to the Kindle format. If you want to browse you can select “Kindle Book” from the Format menu and check the box “Only show copies with titles available”
When you find a title you would like to check out, click “Add to Cart” that is next to the Kindle Format then “Proceed to Checkout.” Select the checkout period (7, 14, or 21 days) and click “Confirm checkout.”
On the download screen Click the “Get for Kindle” button. This will link you to Amazon. You will also have to log in to your Amazon account. Once in Amazon, select the link that says “Get Library Book”. (it may also be necessary to sign in to Amazon on your computer)
Depending on the model of Kindle you own, the next steps may differ
- If you have a 1st or 2nd generation Kindle (a couple of years old), you will need to download the book to a computer and transfer it [refer to the Computer Download and Transfer information page]
- If you have a 3rd generation Kindle (bought within the past year or so), you will be able to download the book through a Wi-Fi network. (Note: if you are on 3G this will not work, you must be in a Wi-Fi network. What type of access you have on your Kindle should be noted on the top status bar near the battery picture.)
- Your title should appear on the home page of your Kindle.
Returning a library book early
Go to Amazon and sign in to your Amazon account
- Go to “Manage Your Kindle”
- Locate the item you want to return from the list of titles in Your Kindle Library (hint: it should be marked with an orange “public library” tag at the end of the book’s title)
- From the Action drop down menu, select “Delete from Library;” this will return the book early to the library
- You will get an email confirmation from Amazon that the book was returned successfully
Computer Download and Transfer to Kindle
(This step not necessary on Kindle Fire)
If you have a 1st or 2nd generation Kindle (or are unable to access a Wi-Fi hotspot), follow these steps to download and transfer the ebook to your Kindle.
- Select the save button of the ebook you are downloading
- Be sure to pay attention to the location you are saving the ebook (when in doubt, save to your desktop so it will be easy to find)
- Look for the file that is the title of the book and ends with “.azw”
- Plug in your Kindle to the USB drive on your computer
- If a window pops up automatically that allows you to view folders on your Kindle, select that option. If it does not, go to My Computer and look under “Devices with Removable Storage” and select “Kindle”
- Drag and drop the “.azw” file to the folder named “Documents”
- Be sure to properly eject your Kindle before removing it from your computer
**If the initial download fails or you need to access your checked out ebooks for any reason, you may do so by clicking on the blue “My Digital Account” tab at the top left of the page. “My Bookshelf” will show the items you have checked out along with download links.