Nook Instructions for KY Libraries Unbound
(if you have a Nook Color or Nook Tablet, you will use different instructions)
You will need a home computer or laptop. You must use this computer to transfer files from your computer that you have downloaded from the library to your Nook. To accomplish this, you will download a free program from the Internet called Adobe Digital Editions and to register that program to your email address. These steps are only necessary the first time you download books from the library.
First, create an Adobe ID by following these steps:
- Go to Adobe’s website (www.adobe.com)
- Click the link in the top right hand corner to “Sign In”
- On the page “My Adobe Account” click on the link that says “Don’t have an Adobe ID?” located under the yellow “Sign In” box.
- Create your Adobe ID by entering an email address and password. (Write down this information; you will need it later.)
Second, install the Adobe Digital Editions program on your home computer by following these steps:
- On the Adobe website, search for “Adobe Digital Editions” or follow this link http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/download.html
- Download Adobe Digital Editions by selecting Macintosh (if you have an Apple Computer) or Windows (if you have a Windows-based PC
- A link will pop up if you want to run or save the Installer program. Choose “run”
- Once Adobe Digital Editions installs, open the program and go to the Help at the top toolbar.
- Select “Authorize Computer” and enter the Adobe ID and password that you wrote down in Step 4 above.
You are now ready to search for and download books from the library.
- Go to the library’s website (www.dcplibrary.org)
- Click on the link for “Downloads” (the blue box on the left hand side of the page under the central image)
- Click on the link for “eBooks & eAudios”
- Hit the “Sign In” button in the top right hand corner
- Select “Daviess County Public Library” from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your complete library barcode number from the back of your library card. Check the box “remember my login information on this device” if you are using your own home computer.
- Search for the item you want to check out using the search box in the top right hand corner; if you want to browse, go to Advanced Search, select “EPUB eBook” from the Format menu and choose whatever subject interests you.
- If you want to see only copies that you can currently check out (that aren’t checked out to other people), click on the box that says “Available now”
- Hit the Search button
- When you find the book you want, click on the name of the book below the picture of the cover
- You are in a detail screen for the book. If you still want to check out the book, click on the blue “Borrow” button located below the Star Rating
- Hit the button “Download (Select one format)”
- Check the box for EPUB eBook (this is the only format you will be able to read on your Nook!)
- Hit “confirm and download”
- A window will pop up. “Do you want to open or save this file?” Choose “Open”
- This will automatically open the book with your Adobe Digital Editions so you should be able to read the book on your computer if you wish.
Your book will be returned to the library automatically at the end of your checkout period – so you don’t need to worry about late fees. But you can return it early if you want by going to your library view in Adobe Digital Editions and right-clicking on the book title. Select “Return Borrowed Item” to send back to the library.
To get the library book on your Nook, follow these steps.
- Open Adobe Digital Editions
- Go to the library view
- Plug in your Nook to your computer using your USB cord supplied with the Nook
- (If this is your first time connecting your Nook to the computer, your computer might need to run a few quick updates so the computer and Nook can “talk” to each other)
- (If this is your first time, you will get a message on Adobe Digital Editions asking if you want to authorize your Nook with that computer. Say yes, but keep in mind that if you later switch computers, you may end up losing some information or books you’ve downloaded.)
- Your Nook should appear on the left hand side under the Bookshelves section while in List or Library view.
- Left-click on the title and drag the title over the icon of your Nook. A green plus symbol should appear. Then let go of the left mouse button, and it will quickly transfer.
- Unplug your Nook (safely remove hardware)
- You may need to search for your book. Hit the search button on your Nook and enter the author’s name or book title if you have trouble locating the eBook.